NFA Registrations

Some firearms require registration with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) for a person to own and possess. Common firearms included are suppressors, machine guns, destructive devices, and short barreled rifles and shotguns.

If you want to acquire or make one of these firearms, you must file the proper paperwork with the ATF and receive permission before acting. This is a common practice, and Robert enjoys helping someone new to these laws understand the work and responsibility involved.

But what do you do if you just find one of these guns? Perhaps it is in your father’s estate, found in the attic, or just shows up some place. This is not the time to tell the world or act rashly; rather, this is a time for careful investigation. Many, but certainly not all, estate firearms are registered with the ATF. (Or if we go back far enough, the Internal Revenue Service!) Robert understands how guns were registered half-a-century ago, knows what papers to look for, and can help untangle the family history of how the firearm came to be. Many times, this is critical to keeping legal possession of the firearm.

Where you find a firearm with questionable providence, do not hide it or shop it around the local gun shops. Such only increases your legal culpability. Call Robert and he will help you understand what options you have, and if possible, straighten out the paperwork.